Sunday, November 30, 2008

Use what you know


When I decided to start blogging I was a little apprehensive about finding stuff to write about. And, would I have enough “educated” material to keep my readers interested? The best advice I was given was to write about what I already know and to use a blog like my personal diary. When I have something to say, or have heard/learned something useful I should write it down.

This advice holds true for going green. There are many reasons for taking hold and running with the movement. What is yours? Some people recognize the economic value of living a greener lifestyle. Some people are passionate about treading lightly and leaving the environment around them in the same shape that they came into it. And, others believe in righting a wrong that has been done to the planet. There are many, many reasons to green your lifestyle. As I have said before this is not an all or nothing thing. Do what you can when you can do it.

All of us are starting this race from a different spot. Some of us have our toe to the starting line and others are a mile back from it. Take what you already know and what you are already good at and figure out how that can help the Ecological cause. I, for example, am an elementary school teacher turned financial analyst.

I have found that I am able to use my background in teaching to take all of these ideas and break them down to the simple so that anyone can grasp and implement the concepts. I have also used my financial and database background to calculate ROI and long term savings of energy efficiency. There is also a profit and loss to recycling, using renewable energy, re-using materials. Actually, there is a profit and loss to just about every action we take in our lives. My goal is to show people how the profits far outweigh the costs when it comes to anything green.

No comments: